Incredible Uses Of Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate, or commonly known as baking soda is staple used for various purposes in many households, however many of us don’t really know the full extent of uses it can offer.
For example, most of us aren’t familiar with the fact that it can be used for medicinal purposes, like removing splinters or brushing teeth.
Along with hydrogen peroxide, baking soda is among the cheapest and safe health tools available, so it can be very handy to learn about its extended uses.
FIGHT OFF THE FLU AND COLDS WITH BAKING SODA
According to some people, taking baking soda orally can balance the pH value in the bloodstream. This is the base premise underlying the claim that you can use baking soda to battle against flu and colds.
According to a report about treating flu from 1918 to 1919, almost no one who had been alkalinized thoroughly had contracted the disease, and also, the ones who had been alkalinized early on would have milder attacks.
Ever since that time, when treating influence, or the common cold, it is recommended to take a generous dose of baking soda, and in many cases, the symptoms would disappear within 36 hours.
It is unclear as to how baking soda is balancing the pH values in the bloodstream, however, since it is pushing the pH in opposite direction which suggests that there is a different mode of action.
Taking baking soda to get rid of cold and flu symptoms is very easy. Simply combine the recommended dose of soda in water and drink it. In the text which follows we give you the recommended amounts from back in 1925:
First day – 6 doses of half a tsp of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water, every half an hour;
Second day – 4 doses of half a tsp of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water, every half an hour;
Third day – 2 doses of half a tsp of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water, one in the morning and one in the evening;
Fourth day and onward – half a tsp baking soda dissolved in a glass of water every morning, until the symptoms disappear.
ADDITIONAL MEDICINAL USES OF BAKING SODA
It is amazing how many homemade remedies you can prepare using baking soda. Here are some of them:
– Ulcer Pain: it is unbelievable how effective this is, and I personally recommend it. It is quite understandable since baking soda can immediately act as a neutralizer for the stomach acids. Simply dissolve 1 to 2 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water.
– Splinter removal: combine a tbsp. of baking soda with some water and then soak the area with the splinter twice a day. Most of the splinters are coming out on their own a few days after doing this treatment.
– Sunburn remedy: soak in the bath filled with lukewarm water and add to it half a cup of baking soda. Don’t dry your skin with a towel after this, let it air dry for additional relief. Alternately, you can mix together baking soda and water and soak a cold compress which you can apply to your sunburn.
– Deodorant: anyone who wants to keep away from the aluminum and parabens present in most of the deodorants should try combining baking soda and water in a paste. Use this paste as a natural deodorant.
– Plaque-busting tooth paste: to prepare this amazing and effective tooth paste, combine together six parts of baking soda with one part of sea salt. Blend them in a blender for 30 seconds and then place the mixture in a container. With a wet fingertip take some of the mixture and put it on your gums. Start at the outer upper side and move inward rubbing the mixture on your gums and teeth. Spit the excess out. Keep the rest in your mouth for about 15 minutes and then rinse it. It has shown that this combination is incredibly efficient in killing bacteria.
– Insect bites: if you want to get rid of itchiness from bug bites simply apply some baking soda and water paste onto the affected area. Another way is to rub some dry powder onto the skin. This remedy can be efficient for poison ivy and itchy rashes as well.
– Teeth whitener: if you want to naturally whiten your teeth just crush a ripe strawberry and combine it with half a tsp of baking soda. Rub the mixture on your teeth and leave it on for about 5 minutes. Brush your teeth afterward and rinse. You shouldn’t use this method more than once every week because overuse could cause damage to the enamel of your teeth.
– Foot soak: just add 3 tbsp. of baking soda to your foot bath to make a homemade foot spa for yourself.
Exfoliator: you can naturally exfoliate your face or body preparing a scrub combining 3 parts of baking soda with 1 part of water. It is a natural, cheap and gentle scrub which you can use every day.
– Detox bath: combine together baking soda with some apple cider vinegar to prepare the best homemade spa for soaking and getting rid of aches and pains, and also detoxification. Additionally, it cleans the drain and tub for you.